Friday, July 1, 2011

Arrived in Phoenix





10-4, good buddy. My advice for this blog is: Don't buy into commercial BS where they make you buy something to get the wi-fi code.

Checking in from Phoenix, well technically, Scottsdale. Pulled into Phoenix this morning. It was hot, but despite what you think it's not bad. It reminded me of the first day I rolled into this town. I saw the bank sign that read 112. I thought, "I am gonna die." Then I got out, and it wasn't bad. I'm not saying 112 is great, but compared to 80 in DeKalb with 60% humidity, Phoenix is much better.

Yesterday was great! I met a brother and sister who took over their father's U-Haul dealership, after he passed. They grew up with the company. They used to play in the trailers. They had chores which included cleaning the trailers. The family is so ingrained in the town that it's no wonder the dealership has survived. They're dad ran for mayor, and was part of the council that combined the two cities of Las Vegas, NM.

The most exciting moment came when the interview had to break because they received an emergency call from the Forest Service in need for trucks to supply the fire fighters at Los Alamos. Man, they sprung into action, and got those trucks under contract, and ready to go. It was amazing. Look, I know people have their complaints about U-Haul, but if you have seen it from my end, these people are dedicated to customer service, flat out. There are dealers who are in it for the quick buck, but they disappear fast. Those who stick around do it because they love the community they serve, and the product they can provide, flat out.

So, lodging. Last night was harrowing. I slept very little. If you looked at the pictures, the place was a wreck. I didn't even post pictures of the bathroom because good lord it was disgusting, but as I said, not the worst place I've stayed. The bathtub was at least level and not at an angle and there were no exposed wires by the shower...and there was a lock. The refrigerator and A/C had something in common. They both ran but kept nothing cool. Thankfully, by morning it was 55 degrees as opposed to the 90 that it was when I rolled in at ten the night before. Unfortunately, my meat and cheese spoiled in the fridge overnight because, like the A/C it kept nothing cool.

Woke up this morning at six local, five in AZ. Hit the road and was in Phoenix by 10:30. The mountain shots are from the drive in from eastern Arizona. It's gorgeous land. I might try to go tubing on the Salt River, which I haven't done in years this weekend.

Arizona is a beautiful area of this nation. The desert combined with soft, struggling trees creates a portrait that would blow the mind of Windslow Homer. I loved the drive in; dreaded the Phoenix area drive. Phoenix area drivers are worse than OKC. People bitch about LA, but LA is harmless. They are crazy, but not reckless, the genuinely look for other drivers. Same goes for Chicago. Same, actually goes for NYC, and I've driven them all. Phoenix drivers just like to stay in the same lane, and they'll run your ass over if you get in their way, and goddamnit that's ok because they're Americans and can do what they want.

I must recollect this image. As I drove through Payson, AZ, there was a guy walking on the side of the state highway: Cargo pants, A-frame t-shirt, and a gun holstered on his right hip.

Back to the track of the trip and the pictures and karma of my previous night. My first stop was the library. Whenever people arrive somewhere new, they look for free wi-fi. They immediately go to Starbucks, or Panera, or some such commercial dump where they make you buy something to get the wi-fi, supposedly, for free. We pay taxes. The library is supported by taxes. They have wi-fi. Go in there, and hook it up. That's what I did in Las Vegas, NM; it's what I did in Tempe.

Why did I do this? Well, I needed a hotel. The fact of the matter was I'll be here a few days and I needed to shave before my next interview. So I hopped on Priceline.

This brings me to the other pictures, not mountains, which are my current lodgings. After waking up this morning and seeing unidentifiable stains on my bed sheets, I tried my old friend Priceline. Some how, I landed a hacienda at Cottonwoods resorts in Scottsdale for $37 a night. Twenty bucks less than what I paid for last night's lodgings. Although I think Sam Shepard would love last night's lodgings as the set for _Fool for Love_ and lord knows there was gun fire.

So this explains the interviews. I'm working on material, which since I have the next day or two off, I'll be posting blogs that are purely test material for the book. Done and

Out,
Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment