Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A note on road burn

I realized after I said it that I should define road burn. It's a term I got from Rollins in his book _Get in the Van_. It's something we all feel from being on the road. For some it's three days, for others three months or more. Last year I suffered from it. It did 3.5 weeks in Florida and then bolted up to NJ for Summer Scholars, and I was doing great. Loved the Bohemic life. When Summer Scholars ended, I moved to DeKalb to start at NIU, but I had no apartment. So for the next 2.5 weeks, I moved from hotel to hotel, waiting to be approved for my apartment. I was still doing well. Liked life. The breaking point came when I had to move out of my apartment for an asbestos scare. I lived four days in a motel, during homecoming weekend, and I just wanted to be back in my bed. So, I'm a long way off from road burn, but I am acutely aware of it, and will be sure not to fall victim to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment